Monday, April 16, 2012

Reading #3

I really enjoyed going to listen to Nicole Cooley and Julia Kasdorf. I thought they both had really interesting topics for their poetry. I especially liked the poems about New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. She told us the story of a restaurant that had to close after the hurricane and someone left a sticky note on it, saying what they loved about the restaurant. After that, more and more people left post-its saying that they hoped it would open again soon and their favorite memories from being there. She then took the quotes on those stickies and put them into a poem. This one was my favorite because I liked the story and meaning behind it. Being there and hearing her tell that made it have a bigger impact than if I had just read it on my own. I also thought they did a good job of picking a range of poems to read. Some were funny, like the post-it one, but others were sad, about the devastation the hurricane caused, and the lives it destroyed. I got to here different aspects of the hurricane and different aspect of the New Orleans culture. I thought their poetry was really fun to listen to, and it definitely made me interested in reading more of their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment